There is nothing more impressive than dishing up a perfectly cooked, juicy steak for your next BBQ or dinner party.
Here are some simple tips to have you grilling like a pro!
- Make sure you remove your steak from the refrigerator in time to allow it to reach room temperature (usually around one hour, pending climate). This will ensure it cooks evenly.
- Season your beef – You can keep it simple with salt and pepper, or create something a little more exotic, with a Moroccan mix of nutmeg, cumin, dried coriander, allspice, ground ginger, cayenne pepper and cinnamon.
- Have fun creating your own seasoning – just ensure the seasoning is dry, even in grind size and that you sprinkle it evenly over both sides, rolling the edges in what has fallen on your board.
- Create a herb bundle brush with rosemary or thyme for basting your steak with a little melted butter before grilling and when flipping the steak (or use a basting brush).
- Make sure your grill is hot before you start cooking – if it’s not, your steak will stick.
- Turn your steak more than once to ensure even cooking.
Place the steak on the grill and sear until grill marks appear. Flip and baste with the melted butter, repeating two more times (try to place the steak on a fresh area of the grill from where it was lifted).
Cook to your liking by using the touch test, or a meat thermometer:
Rare 45 – 50 C
Medium-Rare 55 – 60 C
Medium 60 – 65 C
Medium-Well 65 – 70 C
Well 70 +
- Rest your steak – It is vital you allow the meat to rest on a platter or in a dish, covered loosely with foil (don’t cover tightly or it will continue to cook). A few minutes for small steaks and longer for larger steaks. This allows the juices to settle into your delicious steak.
- Dress your steak – Simply dress the steak with the juices that have been collected when resting, or add a splash of your favourite jus.