This rich, sweet and spicy apple chipotle BBQ sauce goes perfectly with
This rich, sweet and spicy apple chipotle BBQ sauce goes perfectly with slow-cooked beef short ribs.
For those of you who are wondering what is a chipotle, they are a smoke-dried ripe chili pepper used for seasoning. It is a chili used primarily in Mexican and Mexican-inspired cuisines, and although they come in different forms, a popular way is to be stewed in adobo sauce. Chipotles add spiciness and a distinctive smoky flavor. Mixed with the sweetness of the apple it makes a delicious and multi-dimensional BBQ sauce.
- In a food processor blend coriander, onion, cumin, fennel, chipotle peppers, garlic and thyme with 2 tablespoons of oil until it forms a paste.
- In a fry pan over a medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of oil and fry the paste – stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients and stir to combine. Simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Strain the sauce through a fine colander to remove any lumps.
- Enjoy as a basting sauce, or with any cut of meat.
You can watch the full video of Aussiebeef.com.au Chef Daniel Johnston using this delicious BBQ sauce on beef short ribs here.